Prevent a fire occurring
- Always keep a sparkguard in front of an open fire.
- Use a secure fire guard when children are in the room.
- Avoid banking fires too high.
- If you have a chimney fire call the fire brigade.
- Keep portable heaters away from curtains and furniture.
- Keep portable heaters away from draughts.
- Never move a gas or oil heater when it is in use.
- Never refill a hot oil heater.
- Never use a portable heater for drying clothes.
- Check flexes for signs of wear regularly and replace if necessary.
- Don’t run flexes under carpets or rugs where they can be damaged.
- Replace blown fuses with one of the correct rating.
- Don’t overload sockets – one socket, one plug is a safe rule.
- Get a qualified electrician to carry out repairs.
- Follow the manufacturers instructions for electric blankets.
- Use socket covers if there are children in the house.
- Always keep gas cylinders upright and switch off at the regulator when not in use.
- Have adequate ventilation in all rooms where gas heaters are used.
- Check flexible hoses regularly for signs of wear and have them replaced.
- Store gas cylinders in the open air.
- If you suspect a leak, do not switch on lighting or any electrical appliance, ventilate the area, switch off the gas at source, contact your gas supplier.
- Never hang cloths directly over cookers or hobs.
- Turn pot handles inwards on the hob.
- Do not wear loose sleeves while cooking.
- Use a thermostatically controlled chip pan.
- Never overfill a chip pan.
- Never leave a chip pan unattended.
- Use proper ashtrays on a firm base.
- Last thing at night check that a smouldering cigarette has not fallen into seating or onto carpets.
- Never, never, never smoke in bed.
- Never leave children alone in the house
- Use secure fire guards in front of open fires.
- Never allow children to throw anything on an open fire.
- Keep children clear of the cooker when you are using it.
- Switch off and unplug appliances when not in use.
- Use child proof socket covers.
- Keep matches out of reach of children.
Fire Safety in the Home - Chinese-Mandarin(1,363KB)
Fire Safety in the Home - Latvian(829KB)
Fire Safety in the Home - Lithuanian(838KB)
Fire Safety in the Home - Polish(435KB)